Dear Libertarian Parents, Please Stop Acting Like Snowflakes



I am completely stunned yesteryear around of the comments made at the post, Is The Ron Paul Curriculum Failing Its Students?

I receive got non cleared them for posting because they require a detailed response too I volition practise too thus here.

First of all, I desire to brand clear that
in the referenced post of a one-time student, I did non observe anything disrespectful or arrogant inwards the agency doctor North responded.

He seemed to desire to convey other students into the conversation to fix the problem---if at that spot was any.

It seems to me that at first, he didn't meet a employment too wanted to acquire other pupil opinions. Then, it seems every bit though he saw something and corrected it.

I actually don't desire to acquire into the commutation betwixt doctor North too the student. She appears to endure a talented immature author too I want her well, but let's leave of absence her out of this.

I desire to hash out the comments from adults almost the post.

Donxon comments:
I observe North off-putting. He's clearly intelligent, too I receive got occasionally constitute him insightful, but I've never been blown away yesteryear him. Frankly I'd rather psyche to pigment dry out than 1 of his lectures. Good author though.
You would rather psyche to pigment dry?

I rarely receive got fourth dimension to psyche to sixty infinitesimal videos but if at that spot is a novel North video out there, I volition psyche to it. Indeed, I receive got listened to many of his videos multiple times. He is 1 of the most skilled communicators inwards the libertarian movement.

I volition tell y'all a story. In the early on 1970s, doctor North was working for Pacific Coast Coin Exchange, touring the province too giving speeches on argent coins every bit an investment. I happened to meet a notice of the spoken communication inwards the Boston Globe. I was likewise immature to drive too thus I got my manlike mortal nurture to drive me into downtown Boston to attend the speech.

This is forty addition years after too I yet remember lines from his speech. If a speaker tin deliver a spoken communication too at that spot is anyone inwards the basis that tin remember lines from the spoken communication forty years later, the human being giving the spoken communication knows something almost communication.

Second, I suspect that doctor North has done rattling good for himself too it started yesteryear writing newsletters long earlier the internet. I am sure he had many thousands of paying subscribers.

Think almost that. He had to transportation straight postal service pieces out which was rattling expensive to practise too yet he succeeded.

I am sure that at that spot are many libertarians who would welcome for costless to their blogs the issue of subscribers that doctor North got to pay for subscriptions.

The human being is an extremely skilled communicator too people receive got paid much money to read too psyche to him, too y'all are going to comment that y'all have "never been blown away yesteryear him" too that y'all would "rather psyche to pigment dry."

You receive got a genius inwards forepart of y'all too he is obviously way over your head.

There were many to a greater extent than comments along the lines of the 1 that came from Brutus. I volition post the 1 from Brutus too our e-mail commutation too I volition consider it my response to all the other similar comments.

Brutus commented:
I used to subscribe to Mr. North's website. I constitute him to endure disinclined to admit his mistakes (who isn't?), but it's actually his overall demeanour which is off-putting. 
As for the RPC, my married adult woman too I constitute it less than inspiring when nosotros tried it with our 3 home-schooled kids. This has naught to practise with Mr. North personally, but the production he sells. We've moved on to other trade that nosotros consider to endure superior. 
Then this from Brutus:
We already tried RPC. We constitute it to endure an inferior product. But we'll meet if the censors hither allow anyone read my review.
Then the e-mail commutation occurred:
Dear RW,
Censoring my honest critique of the RPC proves what a skilful fiddling toadie y'all tin be.
Sincerely,
 (Brutus)
Owner of Fed Flunks (signed copy)
Subscriber to EPJ Alerts
And totally disappointed with your antics

My response:
No, it is a dishonest attack. You write:
 "We've moved on to other trade that nosotros consider to endure superior."
Why don't y'all cry the "superior" product? 
I don't think at that spot is whatever production amend than doctor North's but how tin I evaluate too response when y'all leave of absence out the telephone commutation chemical cistron to evaluate your response, the so-called superior product.
 Brutus responds:
Dishonest?!? That is NOT dishonest. It's an OPINION based on my homeschooling experience.
Whether I cry ANY other production does non acquire inwards dishonest. 
As a affair of fact, I did receive got around other dyad of sentences which I deleted out of deference - feeling that, since y'all seemed to favor the RPC, I would be
remiss every bit a commentator on your site yesteryear taking it whatever farther too plugging other websites/curricula.
The other trade is non 1 product, but several. That's how homeschooling plant for many parents. For instance, my missy uses H5N1 Beka almost exclusively, whereas my boy watches several online lectures from The Great Courses website,
does Saxon Math, too his American Lit./writing is a fantastic mass yesteryear doctor Whit Jones (Apologia). The curriculum changes every twelvemonth every bit new, subjectively superior
products come upwards to light. We paid for too used RPC 1 twelvemonth too many parts of it were likewise dry and uninspiring - similar I wrote. Rather than subscribe to the all-encompassing RPC, our money has  been spent elsewhere with amend satisfaction.  That's 1 of the many beauties of  homeschooling: a tailored instruction for each kid. When homeschooling parents acquire together, the conversation speedily turns to "who's using what?".  Some purpose but 1 source similar RPC, around download all their content from the spider web for free, but most purpose a issue of venues, from books to DVDs to online lectures to co-ops.
When it's your kid, too your money, too your time, y'all acquire with what plant - regardless of how much around production is hyped.
There is no higher authority. The buck stops here.
What nosotros experience is superior is absolutely tailored to our children's needs, too totally subjective to what nosotros experience is best for our kids.
There's naught for y'all to evaluate. You're non raising them or teaching them.

Alright. I've vented. I appreciate your time. 
And I actually appreciate your 'EPJ Alert'. I consider that a superior production worth every penny.  
I bask your insights too would lay the 'Alert' right upwards at that spot with the slow smashing RR's 'DOW Theory Letter'.
Ok, earlier I suspension this down, I desire to brand clear at that spot were others that said they had constitute a superior product, too thus this suspension downwards applies for all those commenters.

First, of all, I think nosotros demand to empathize the argue for homeschooling. I would think it is to innovate the pupil to a amend instruction than 1 tin acquire from schools.

Looking at the  A Beka courses, it is clear that this is a heavily-Christian based curriculum. But is it actually that difficult to observe a Christian schoolhouse inwards the U.S. of A. of America that would learn these type courses?

Maybe at that spot is a argue for homeschooling hither but it strikes me that this type of instruction is readily available inwards traditional individual schools. And, every bit I receive got noted, I don't believe the Ron Paul Curriculum is religiously oriented. So rather than superior, it looks to me similar nosotros are comparison apples too oranges.

As far every bit the Saxon Math, it appears to me that it is traditional math teaching. Maybe at that spot is a argue to learn this at home, depending upon your location. But I would think at that spot are a lot of world schools too individual schools where kids graduate fully agreement higher degree mathematics. So I am non sure that math inwards many cases is a argue for homeschooling.

Now every bit far as The Great Courses homeschool program. It is absolutely horrific. This is sure enough the sort of course of written report y'all tin observe inwards whatever world schoolhouse inwards the country. This does non demand to endure homeschooled.

There is a Great Presidents course, alongside the Great Courses, that devotes iv lessons to LBJ every bit a smashing president, iv to FDR, iv to Woodrow Wilson too iv to Abraham Lincoln.

Under a history of the United States, at that spot is a course of written report that explains how "minimal authorities intervention" caused the Great Depression.

There is an entire course of written report on John Kenneth Galbraith's horrific the "affluent society" perspective.

The lesson on Bill Clinton informs that his "failure" was inwards non existence able to practise a national healthcare system.

I volition halt hither but the horrors continue.

You are right inwards thinking that y'all volition non observe this nonsense inwards the Ron Paul Curriculum.

If trying to acquire your kids to empathize how the basis actually works, the Great Courses is a disaster---and the themes are taught everywhere!

You volition larn reality at RPC too I incertitude anywhere else.

But beyond this, I really believe that doctor North is 1 of a sort too he should endure taken wages of.

In 1 of his posts, he mentioned he tells kids to start a weblog reviewing books. This is a vivid idea. I receive got recommended it to a dyad of immature people. He has mentioned that he teaches students how to practise educational videos. Students working with him are learning marketing, communications too entrepreneurship from a truthful genius. Who knows what else he is teaching?  And he is every bit corporation every bit they acquire on Austrian economics, libertarianism, too history.

This is the materials that is non existence taught inwards individual too world schools today or for that affair other habitation schoolhouse programs. It is the materials that volition allow students to larn how the basis actually plant too the communications skills too marketing skills that aren't taught at most other places---especially when it is taught yesteryear a human being who has been a major league grand slam habitation run success at it.

So when I meet people proverb they are going on to a "better" program, I milk shiver my head, I don't think they empathize how unique too valuable RPC is.

Finally, the comments almost doctor North's attitude. First, I don't meet a employment with them, based on  what was published that he wrote online. I asked Dr, Edelstein too he wrote:
The North comments cited seem mild...Some fifty-fifty seemed semi-reasonable. Perhaps it was the tone rather than the words... 
But actually parents, y'all audio similar a bunch of snowflakes. Are y'all going to protect your children every fourth dimension someone says "boo" to them?

Maybe what y'all should endure teaching your kids is how to grab what y'all tin out of a province of affairs too ignore the rest, because that is how transactions are made inwards a complex world.

And what a pupil tin exit of doctor North (and doctor Tom Woods) is extremely valuable too non to endure constitute anywhere else.

 -RW
Sumber http://www.targetliberty.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post